Thursday, March 8, 2018

Theory - Phoenix was at I4

Found at Tem Ico Wiki and picture was uploaded by GertdeHond
Note: The other images on here were found on Nomad's blog, I am not too sure if that's the original source. Some could be found on other parts of the internet too though, but I still want to link to his blog. :)
Nomad's blog page: http://nomads-sotc-blog.blogspot.com/2011/07/unusedbeta-colossi.html

I4 is a beta location in Shadow of The Colossus, it was a place I always hoped to see and explore one day. Sadly today, and even with the new build recently found, I4 is still that cursed white null object sitting there in the middle of the quadrant. In fact, all of those white null objects including the one way south and a bit west of the map still remains even in the "PSU Preview" build. But recently I was comparing the pictures of Phoenix to J4, which is not cursed (still exist as actual land) to many sections of the Phoenix area, and I was able to find some shocking matches. The reason why I compare J4 is because J4 is supposed to be very connected to I4, so I assume I4 is supposed to have a lot of similar textures to J4.

So are there similarities?
Here are four pictures I found from Nomad's blog:


































The first picture and last two pictures seem to remind me of J4, which is connected to I4 deeply.
The ground and the mountain are very similar to this:
From "PSU Preview" with debug iso hack on thanks to wisi.
 In J4, there is a very familiar style to a couple of pictures from the Phoenix arena. During the time I was comparing it, I don't think I found the fourth picture at the time, so at the time, it was hard to tell what those mountains were.

Then later, I found the fourth picture... but it wasn't the one on Nomad's blog and was too small... Then I went to Nomad's blog and discovered the picture and was much larger, and thanks to that picture, that's where things got really interesting...

First, here is the texture that's used in J4:
I think J4 is the only place that uses this so far.

I have a folder called Barba filled with probably every texture from the preview. I sadly don't exactly remember who sent me it though. However some textures might of not been ripped correctly. It's not the texture ripped from PSU Preview, but I assume it's the same texture.
Anyway, let's now look at this too:



































Let's look closer...
Left: From Phoenix picture. Right: From the J4 snapshot.












Examples, there are more to compare.











It's probably not the most accurate and we are mainly comparing the texture pattern itself, the actual 3D model may not be the same, but we are trying to show how similar the nto texture itself is. 3D model form can also possibly distort the pattern.

But wait, we are not done!
In the NICO.dat file of the PSU Preview, I was able to find a bunch of "i4" names at the end of a couple of main nmo areas. One of them was the geyser area (the turtle colossus arena), and the other was the 3rd arena. At an geyser model, the following I know were found: "i4_a_tree_large", "i4_branch_parts", and "i4_tree_trunk02". I think the same goes for at least one of the 3rd arena parts.
There was also some i4 names at the end version of the 3rd arena one but couldn't be found in the preview if I'm guessing right.

I am not sure exactly what the names are at the end of the nmo file, but I think I usually see this as different name versions of textures, as if this was the material name from the PC editor. When I rip a model using a converter made by wisi, I see the different names in the material list instead of the nto ones. I am however not so sure if these alternative names can have other things other than textures however.
Anyway, these names seems to reference to trees obviously and if you look back at Nomad's blog, you can see how similar the trees are to the Phoenix pictures. There are also similar trees found at the 3rd colossus arena. I am not so sure if these trees can be found anywhere else. So far, they seem to match the the information found in the NICO.dat file.

So things to note:
That texture in J4 cannot be found anywhere else in the current known builds, the texture is very similar to the one at Phoenix's arena, the ground in J4 is even similar to the ground in some of the Phoenix areas, and there are trees in the Phoenix pictures that look similar to trees in two arenas where in NICO.dat, there are "i4" tree names at the end of such nmos.

In theory, Phoenix was actually in I4.
I also had a theory that many beta low polygon mountains has used another texture before, and it seems the PSU Preview proved my theory. Haha

1 comment:

  1. Wow; fantastic analysis! This actually flew right against an idea I recently brought up with Nomad that the beta Monkey Colossus may have been located in i4, funny enough, as I had assumed Phoenix had been pegged to Basaran's arena in d3. My logic was that the Malus icon appears in i4 when you use Codebreaker codes to start a new game with all of the colossi defeated, so there may have been a possibility that a Colossus once lived there due to this.
    The OPM Demo reveals Avion's icon at Basaran's arena (used twice); this once seemed like proof of Phoenix being located where Basaran now is, though in retrospect if you're right, then it may just be a simple error; especially given how most of the the other icons are wildly out of place.
    In looking at the Preview Version map free of clouds, in the i5 quadrant there appears to be a small beach just underneath what seems to be either a plain or a mountain, with what Nomad speculated was a cave opening (along with a path leading west to Avion's then-dry arena). And in looking through the debugged Preview Version (by Wisi), the soundtrack "Voice of the Earth" seems to be labeled as "Volcano". If we assume (which I don't like doing) that this track was indeed meant as the pre-battle track for the beta Monkey, then I took it as a clue to his possible location; excluding areas like Dirge's arena as a possibility. We already knew it lived in a cave; but could this track meant that it lived inside a volcano as well?
    Though hard to tell, the possible cave leading upwards into the i4 quadrant seemed to go into a mountain when inspecting it; though I may be incorrect - I think I might try and use World Machine to get a better look at it topologically. If Phoenix was indeed located at i4 originally and not just Basaran's lair then my idea's effectively canned. I have no doubt that a colossus once lived at i4 given Malus' icon via a codebreaker anomaly and the intersection of fixed and non-fixed clouds over the quadrant between the Preview and retail versions, however.

    ReplyDelete